Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rejoice

Verse of the Week:

"Even though the fig trees are all destroyed, and there is neither blossom left nor fruit, and though the olive crops all fail, and the fields lie barren; even if the flocks die in the fields and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will be happy in the God of my salvation."

- Habakkuk 3:17-18


Song of the Week:



At first glance, the verse above didn't seem to be very relevant to my life. I mean, who cares if the fig trees are destroyed and the olive crops fail? If the flocks die and the cattle barns are empty... what does it matter to me?

But upon further pondering, I realized that if I would have been living during the time period when this verse was written, those circumstances would have been horrific! If my fields and flocks and olive trees were my livelihood, then it would basically be like saying "Though I'm going to die and there is no hope left whatsoever, I will rejoice in the Lord!"

So what about this present time? What about the circumstance that YOU are going through right now?

"Even though my class load is huge and my homework is piling up; and though anxiety and depression are weighing on my heart; and though I'm struggling with an eating disorder and I just found out someone I love has cancer; though I am having family issues and relationship issues... I will rejoice in the Lord; I will be happy in the God of my salvation."

Though I'm not currently struggling with all the things I mentioned above.... perhaps you can identify with a few of them?

Hopelessness is found in the circumstances that the writer describes in Habakkuk. That same hopelessness can often be found in the circumstances we face on a daily basis. It is easy to lose hope when we are caught in the midst of circumstances or trials we didn't expect.

But there is a method to this hopelessness: REJOICE.

What a simple command. Yet, I would say, one of the most difficult to obey.

This week's challenge: REJOICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment